MANCHESTER, United Kingdom, April 12, 2011 (AFP) – Manchester United powered into the semi-finals of the Champions League here Tuesday, downing Chelsea 2-1 at Old Trafford to clinch a 3-1 aggregate victory. Goals from Mexican striker Javier Hernandez and South Korean international Park Ji-Sung either side of a lone Chelsea effort from Didier Drogba clinched a deserved victory for United in front of 74,672 fans. The win put Sir Alex Ferguson’s side into a semi-final against either Schalke 04 or holders Inter Milan, who play each other on Wednesday. “Overall we were the better side, though, it was I thought as well a competitive game and played in a good spirit but also a great advert for the Premier League,” said Ferguson. “I think we’ve hit our form and the players are relishing the challenge on three fronts.” United, leading 1-0 from last week’s first leg at Stamford Bridge, were worthy victors against a Chelsea side who struggled to match their opponents’ precision in the final third. Defeat piled the pressure on Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, who in all probability will see his team finish the season without a trophy. Chelsea’s misery was summed up by Ancelotti’s decision to remove…
- Man Utd news LIVE: Pogba ‘on verge of Juventus transfer’, Sancho pursuit LATEST, Euro finals ‘in August’
- 8pm Chelsea news LIVE: Tagliafico offered for £23m, Kepa too expensive to sell, Kante ‘exemplary’ in not training
- Everton's Dogs of War relived: 25 years on from 1995 FA Cup final win over Manchester United
- Premier League's most underrated players from top six this season
- First plane carrying 150 'critically important' Romanian fruit pickers who will join 'land army' battling to save Britain's harvest lands at Stansted
- Yannick Carrasco could return to European football with Milan and Arsenal interested
United through as 10-man Chelsea exit have 289 words, post on at April 13, 2011. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.