There were no tears from Lionel Messi as he left the Camp Nou pitch after this Champions League game – just that familiar smile after another multiple-goal performance that secured a come-from-behind victory. Messi scored a late double Wednesday to bring Barcelona back to win 3-2 over Spartak Moscow and successfully launch its campaign for a fourth European title in eight seasons. It was his fourth double in seven games this season for a total of 10 goals. The Argentina forward walked off that same pitch in tears after his last Champions League game, when Barcelona was eliminated by Chelsea in the semifinals last season. For a while, it looked like Spartak would spring another upset at Camp Nou, as Spartak fought back after Cristian Tello’s 14th-minute opener to lead 2-1 in the second half. The Russian club leveled through Dani Alves’ own goal in the 29th and Romulo then struck in the 59th to give the visitors an unexpected advantage. But Messi, who equaled a European Cup record with 14 goals in the last campaign, tapped in Tello’s pass to make it 2-2 in the 71st and headed in Alexis Sanchez’s cross in the 80th to keep Barcelona undefeated… Read full this story
- Chhattisgarh urban body polls: Congress leads with wins in 923 wards
- Brown says 76ers built for play-offs after Embiid leads statement win over Bucks
- Barca and Madrid lead in Spain at winter break despite flaws
- Barcelona and Real Madrid lead in Spain at winter break despite flaws
- The 20 records Lionel Messi can still break in 2020 including 500 Barcelona wins and beating Ronaldo’s European record
- Without Lionel Messi, Barcelona stunned by Athletic Bilbao in La Liga opener
- El Clasico: Can Barca open 14-point gap over Real?
- Van Dijk or Kompany? Suarez or Lewandowski? – Who joins Messi, Ronaldo in Team of the Decade?
- Lionel Messi sends fans wild as Barcelona star trains at gym while watching his best goals of 2019 on TV
- Barcelona and Real Madrid legends Rivaldo and Salgado make El Clasico prediction and reveal how to stop Lionel Messi
Messi leads Barca to win over Spartak have 347 words, post on www.foxsports.com at September 18, 2012. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.