Something is brewing inside Volvo. With a multi-billion dollar investment secured, which is one of Sweden’s largest industrial investments, the Swedish carmaker will be developing two projects called SPA (Scalable Product Architecture) and VEA (Volvo Engine Architecture).
Volvo explains that the SPA is a ‘flexible, scalable product architecture that covers most of Volvo’s future car models.’ Or in other words, Volvo will also be embracing a modular platform that will be used in many models. New cars based on SPA will also be scalable systems and components that are manufactured in a flexible production system.
The VEA project will result in a new four-cylinder fuel-efficient engine family, which will find work in the new SPA. The engines will be built in Skövde while assembly of all drivetrains – including hybrids – will be at the Torslanda plant in Gothenburg.
The first Volvo that will be based on this new architecture is the next generation XC90. You’ll have to wait till the end of 2014 for it to happen.
- Forza Horizon 4 full car list, Halo event, soundtrack and more
- Forza Horizon 4 full car list, early access and start time
- Drive a Volvo For Free
- Xbox advert for Volvo
- Project CARS PC review
- Forza 6 achievements revealed along with 36 new cars
- Forza 6 Achievements Revealed, 36 More Cars Announced
- Elon Musk says Tesla cars will be ‘fully driverless’ by 2020 – and boasts they’ll drive better than YOU
- Spooky Races: Project CARS gets a Halloween trailer
- Project CARS has hit a few speed bumps and won't reach the finish line until March 17th