SEOUL – North Korea said Thursday that it had sentenced a US citizen to 15 years of prison labour for “hostile acts” against its regime, following months of tensions between Pyongyang and the West. “The Supreme Court sentenced him to 15 years of compulsory labour for this crime,” the North’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) announced. Pyongyang has not specified the basis of the offences allegedly committed by Bae, a Korean-American tour operator. But KCNA said on Saturday when announcing his trial that he had admitted to his crimes. Seoul-based activist Do Hee-Yoon has told AFP that he suspected Bae was arrested because he had taken photographs of emaciated children in North Korea as part of efforts to appeal for more outside aid. The United States has urged North Korea to free the detainee on “humanitarian grounds”. “The welfare of US citizens is a critical and top priority for this department,” deputy acting State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said on Monday. US officials have pointed out Bae had entered the country on a valid visa, and admitted to concerns he could be used as a “political bargaining” chip. Tensions have been running high between the United States and North…
- Prince Andrew 'was used as bait by paedophile Jeffrey Epstein to try and lure 15-year-old sex victim to his Caribbean island'
- Man, 18, is charged with murder of 15-year-old boy who was found dead on a country lane near leafy Cheshire village of Knutsford
- Body found on country lane is named as missing 15-year-old Alex Rodda as man, 18, is arrested for murder
- Da Nang revisits railway station relocation plan after 15 years
- Hundreds of Thai tsunami victims yet to be identified, 15 years on
- Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years with hard labour for Rohingya massacre
- 15 years since plan for sewers, Mithi remains polluted
- Time to fill up now: Petrol prices to skyrocket to a 15-year high - even though crude oil prices have FALLEN
- Harvest mice found thriving 15 years after reintroduction efforts
- Powerful painkiller use 'doubled in 15 years'
N. Korea gives US citizen 15 years' hard labour have 325 words, post on at May 2, 2013. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.