Stop what you’re doing and watch this. Below the fold are three high-definition streams of the ocean floor, currently broadcasting LIVE via NOAA’s new 6,000-meter remotely operated vehicle (ROV), Deep Discoverer. It’s… well… let’s just say you might want to clear your schedule for the day. The Northeast U.S. Canyons Expedition is one of the first exploration missions that lets onshore audiences tune in live, with access to real-time, high-quality video footage from deepwater areas. Advertisement For the last month or so, scientists aboard NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer have been working with onshore technicians to better understand the ecology of one of the most poorly understood locations on Earth: the ocean floor. The mission’s specific goal is to explore deep-sea habitats and marine life along the Northeast U.S. Canyons and at Mytilus Seamount, regions of the seafloor situated a few hundred miles off the coast of New England. To do it, researchers are using a brand new 6,000-meter ROV named Deep Discovery and a sweet camera setup to bring the community closer to the science than ever. Via NOAA: The exploration area for this community-driven expedition was identified based on the discussions and information stemming from the May 2011 Atlantic… Read full this story
- This 'snake robot' can fix pipelines on the ocean floor
- Is SEAGRASS the key to clearing the oceans of plastic? 'Neptune balls' on the ocean floor sieve over 867 MILLION pieces of rubbish from the water every year
- Best cheap dash cam deals for January 2021: Vantrue, Garmin, Anker, and more
- Above this simple slate grey garage by the road sits a spectacular luxury home - complete with a lift to the sun-soaked living space and sparkling ocean views from every room
- Temperatures of deepest ocean rising quicker than previously thought
- Exploring the Clues in HBO's Critically Acclaimed Miniseries 'The Night Of'
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit: Here's your first look at the new augmented reality video game for Nintendo Switch
- ‘Explore crowdfunding to help two children with rare disease’
- Priti Patel vows 'justice' after Boris says Black Lives Matter protests were 'subverted by thugs' on weekend of violence and vandalism
- 11pm Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Rekik CONFIRMED, Ozil interest, Sabitzer UPDATE, Newcastle win REACTION
Explore the ocean floor via live cam, in high definition, RIGHT NOW have 367 words, post on io9.gizmodo.com at August 12, 2013. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.