Early reports are coming in stating that state seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher sustained a ‘serious head injury’ while skiing in the French Alps and has been taken to the hospital. UPDATE: He was wearing a helmet.
So far SkyTV has the most thorough documentation which says the 44-year-old retired German driver crashed while skiing near the Meribel resort and was flown by helicopter to a hospital in Grenoble in a conscious state.
Despite multiple organizations describing it as “serious” the only quote is from director of the ski resort saying “I don’t know the severity of the injury.”
More as we have it.
UPDATE: SKY has updated their post to say “he was wearing a helmet when he hit his head on a rock, and that he did not lose consciousness.” So it sounds like he may have dodged a bullet, if not a rock.
UPDATE #2: Information is still only coming in in drips and drabs, and the hospital has not yet released an update on Schumacher’s condition. In the meantime, his representatives sent this brief statement to F1 reporter Jennie Gow:
“In a private ski trip in the French Alps Michael fell on the head. He was taken to hospital and medical care professional. We ask for understanding that we can about his health not give continuous information. He was wearing a helmet and was not alone. In his fall, no other person was involved.”
UPDATE #3: Unconfirmed reports from French television are saying that Schumacher has been downgraded to critical condition after suffering from a cerebral hemorrhage. We’re still looking for confirmation on this one, and will update when we hear new information.
- Clint Frazier rips Michael Kay for commenting on head injury
- MTA: Man struck by train in Annadale suffered head injuries
- Michael Schumacher's family sues magazine over claim that the injured former F1 champion’s health is improving — ‘He cannot walk’
- Michael Schumacher started high school at 5-2, 120 pounds, but today he's a key piece of Lake Country Lutheran football
- Manhattan man suffered serious head injury when aggressive cop tackled him in pot bust, lawsuit says
- Steelers LB Ryan Shazier remains in hospital back injury
- 'Walking Dead' stuntman hospitalized with head injury after falling 20 feet onto concrete floor
- Baby taken to hospital with ‘injuries intentionally caused,’ police investigating
- Farmington day care employee arrested after infant hospitalized with injuries
- Pediatric concussions: When should a parent worry about a head injury?