SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Arwin Buditom guards some of the most successful high-tech firms in America. Joseph Farfan keeps their heat, air and electric systems humming. But these workers and tens of thousands like them who help fuel the Silicon Valley’s tech boom can’t even make ends meet anymore. Buditom rooms with his sister an hour’s drive from work. Farfan gets his groceries at a food pantry. Get In Stock Alerts on Twitter for SNES Classic, Switch and More “It’s unbelievable until you’re in the middle of it,” Farfan said, standing in line at the Sacred Heart Community Center in San Jose for free pasta, rice and vegetables. “Then the reality hits you.”Silicon Valley is entering a fifth year of unfettered growth. The median household income is $90,000, according to the Census Bureau. The average single-family home sells for about $1 million. The airport is adding an $82 million private jet center.But the river of money flowing through this 1,800-square-mile peninsula, stretching from south of San Francisco to San Jose, has also driven housing costs to double in the past five years while wages for low- and middle-skilled workers are stagnant. Nurses, preschool teachers, security guards and landscapers commute… Read full this story
- How Uber could end up as Silicon Valley's most spectacular crash
- Has Silicon Valley found its soul on a mountaintop in Utah?
- The Silicon Valley Suicides
- A dying mall near Apple's headquarters is turning into a fight over Silicon Valley's soul
- Austin was 'the biggest winner' of COVID tech migration. What happens to Silicon Valley?
- Why Is Silicon Valley So Awful to Women?
- Silicon Valley Shake-Up: These Are the Next Top Tech Towns
- Silicon Valley billionaire Chamath Palihapitiya: would-be governor just for a moment
- Prince Harry gets first non-Royal job at swanky Silicon Valley mental health firm
- Online startup boom: What made the year 2014 special
Silicon Valley Boom Eludes Many, Drives Income Gap have 306 words, post on www.i4u.com at March 6, 2014. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.