9 Winning championships is nothing new at St. Thomas, but the Eagles’ recent victory at the TAPPS Class 5A State Baseball Tournament – the program’s 23rd state crown – certainly ranks as one of the most epic. Senior right fielder/designated hitter Ben Condara secured a place in St. Thomas baseball lore, delivering a two-out, two-strike single in the bottom of the seventh inning for a 2-1 victory over TAPPS District 3-5A foe Tomball Concordia Lutheran in the state finals in Waco. Eleven days after ripping a three-run homer to beat Plano Prestonwood Christian in an area playoff series, Condara again came up with the game-winner, scoring senior center fielder Rawlings Elam to lead St. Thomas (28-10) to its third state title in five years. “When Ben was at the plate, I never questioned him for a moment,” said first-year St. Thomas head baseball coach Ryan Lousteau . “Ben loves the big stage and I knew he’d do something special.” Yet, Condara was hardly in peak condition in the championship game. After being in and out of the line-up all season because of assorted injuries, Condara banged his left knee diving into second base in the Eagles’ 11-5 semifinal win over… Read full this story
- BBC Devon & Cornwall Live: 8 August
- These are the celebrities who have passed away this year so far
- Which celebrities have passed away so far this year?
- BAFTAs TV 2019: Jodie Comer in TEARS as she wins Best Actress
- EU elections 2019: Country-by-country guide
- Jailed in May: The faces of 35 criminals locked up last month
- 50 big events in Wales that must go in your summer 2019 diary
- Weddings and babies to tragedy
- 2020 Democrats start two nights of debates in Detroit
- London's boutique horse sale in Prince William's back yard
Condara's dramatic hit helps St. Thomas clinch 23rd state baseball crown have 284 words, post on www.chron.com at May 13, 2014. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.