As anticipated, Mozilla today updated Firefox to version 34, automatically switching the browser’s default search from Google to Yahoo for most users in North America.Firefox 34 launched early Monday to little fanfare from Mozilla, who touted it only on the update’s Notes page.Along with the North American search change, Mozilla also automatically switched from Google to Yandex in the Russian, Belarusian and Kazakh localizations. Mozilla had dropped Yandex in 2012 in favor of Google.Both Yahoo and Yandex were previously announced — although earlier Mozilla had said that the former had claimed the default only in the United States — two weeks ago when the open-source developer said it had quit its 10-year partnership with Google as Firefox’s more-or-less-global search default. Instead, Mozilla said it would strike deals market by market.Mozilla has not disclosed the financial terms of the five-year contract with Yahoo. In 2013, the most recent year for which Mozilla has released financial information, it received approximately $275 million from Google for using the Mountain View, Calif. company’s engine as the Firefox default.Today’s North American change to Yahoo came with a pitch by Mozilla that touted “Better results from Yahoo” on an after-update landing page and a first-of-several-pop-ups that… Read full this story
- Huge Call of Duty update out TODAY – with major Warzone changes and two new maps
- Here's everything that's new in the Windows 10 May update
- One third of Firefox users vulnerable to known flaws; IE and Chrome continue to gain share
- Today’s cache | New Google Maps features, Windows 10 update, and more
- Chrome is getting a ton of big safety and security updates soon
- ‘We can’t go back to normal’: how will coronavirus change the world?
- Love after lockdown: Over half of Bumble dating app users are seeking more 'meaningful' relationships after experiencing loneliness in isolation
- Massive security alert over Android 'Fake ID' bug as experts warn personal and financial details of millions of users have been at risk for four YEARS
- Why Google Changed The Most Recognizable Logo On The Web
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Wall St Week Ahead-Investors look beyond drug makers as hunt for Covid-19 treatment heats up
Update: Firefox 34 Seeks User OK Before Changing Search to Yahoo have 348 words, post on www.infoworld.com at December 1, 2014. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.