The African American Mayors Association, led by Kevin Johnson, opens its annual meeting today in Washington, D.C. The former NBA star and current mayor of Sacramento has been the president of the association since its founding in 2013—when, as president of the Atlanta-based National Conference of Black Mayors, he declared the older group bankrupt and resigned from it. The NCBM was a historically significant but poorly managed organization. By the time Johnson walked away from it to start the competing AAMA, it was crippled. This produced litigation now sitting in county and federal courthouses in the state of Georgia, in which remaining members of the NCBM accuse Johnson of first scheming to seize control of the group, then destroying it. Advertisement The filings allege that Johnson covertly organized a public/private consortium to launch what he called a “coup” against the NCBM. It was a study in overkill. His army included three public-sector PR firms plus his own mayoral communications staff, a law firm that boasts about its prominent role in the charter school industry, and his wife, the charter-school activist Michelle Rhee. For all his side’s might, Johnson’s mission was a disaster. As soon as the old group’s old guard… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson attacks new car tax changes branding them 'disastrous' and 'unworkable'
- Boris Johnson’s 50 lies, gaffes and scandals as PM's future hangs in the balance
- Police: Dallas Shooting Suspect Micah Johnson “Wanted To Kill White People”
- Black History Month Programming: What’s On TV And Streaming In February
- Mayor of Hyattsville, Maryland Dead from Apparent Suicide
- The Battles, Barriers And Big Breaks Of 8 Black Bay Area Chefs
- Homicide rates have soared nationwide, but mayors see a chance for a turnaround in 2022
- ‘He promoted me!’ Zahawi challenges Tory Islamophobia claim as old Boris comment resurface
- Magic Johnson Addresses Photos With Gavin Newsom, Eric Garcetti: ‘I Wore My Mask In, I Wore My Mask Out’
- Can New York’s ‘Blue Collar’ Mayor Eric Adams Overcome Economic Challenges And Progressive Opposition?
How Kevin Johnson Destroyed A Black Mayors Group To Promote His Brand have 332 words, post on deadspin.com at May 28, 2015. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.