The African American Mayors Association, led by Kevin Johnson, opens its annual meeting today in Washington, D.C. The former NBA star and current mayor of Sacramento has been the president of the association since its founding in 2013—when, as president of the Atlanta-based National Conference of Black Mayors, he declared the older group bankrupt and resigned from it. The NCBM was a historically significant but poorly managed organization. By the time Johnson walked away from it to start the competing AAMA, it was crippled. This produced litigation now sitting in county and federal courthouses in the state of Georgia, in which remaining members of the NCBM accuse Johnson of first scheming to seize control of the group, then destroying it. Advertisement The filings allege that Johnson covertly organized a public/private consortium to launch what he called a “coup” against the NCBM. It was a study in overkill. His army included three public-sector PR firms plus his own mayoral communications staff, a law firm that boasts about its prominent role in the charter school industry, and his wife, the charter-school activist Michelle Rhee. For all his side’s might, Johnson’s mission was a disaster. As soon as the old group’s old guard… Read full this story
- Dominic Cummings 'is set to resign' after No10 meltdown: Boris Johnson's chief adviser 'will follow his ally Lee Cain out of the door in the New Year' after the Prime Minister reportedly talked him out of quitting this week
- Boris Johnson used to be the Teflon man of British politics, brushing off scandals, gaffes and mistakes. Not any more
- Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs, a hit on national stage, trails in re-election bid
- Black children must be able to believe in themselves. That's what Black History Month is for
- Gun Dealer Invites Right-Wing Groups To Protest Black Lives Matter Event At Dublin City Hall
- Boris Johnson filmed swearing at taxi driver in London
- Tory rebellion grows: Seventy MPs join group determined to block any extension of Covid lockdown past December 2 - with 25 more considering signing up
- ‘People are soul tired’: 2 years after the Camp Fire destroyed Paradise, only a fraction of homes have been rebuilt
- Furious Tories blast Sadiq Khan after he twice refuses to deny Met Police is 'institutionally racist' as London mayor orders officers to 'justify' stop-and-searches on BAME suspects and tells Cressida Dick to DOUBLE ethnic minority intake to 40%
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: If this was 1940, Boris Johnson would stand down The Few to 'protect the RAF'
How Kevin Johnson Destroyed A Black Mayors Group To Promote His Brand have 409 words, post on deadspin.com at May 28, 2015. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.