VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Japan clearly was not ready for Carli Lloyd.Lloyd scored a hat trick in the opening 16 minutes on Sunday to help give the United States a 5-2 victory over Japan for its record third Women’s World Cup title.The game Sunday night at Vancouver’s BC Place was a rematch of the World Cup four years ago when Japan prevailed after a penalty shootout for the nation’s first championship in the premier women’s soccer tournament.Leading up to that victory in Germany, Japan had been deeply scarred by the deadly earthquake and tsunami. The national team gave the country reason to cheer, and the players were welcomed home as heroes.A win on Sunday would have made Japan just the second team to repeat as World Cup Champions (Germany, 2003 and `07) in consecutive World Cups.But it wasn’t to be.Lloyd, awarded the Golden Ball as player of the tournament, scored twice in a span of about 135 seconds as the U.S. led 2-0 by the fifth minute.Lauren Holiday boosted the lead in the 14th and two minutes later Lloyd made it 4-0 with an audacious 54-yard, right-footed shot from midfield that sailed over goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori.Japan closed on Yuki Ogimi’s… Read full this story
- The X Factor: Celebrity EXCLUSIVE: Try Star's Ben Foden will perform Swing Low Sweet Chariot as a 'doff of the cap' to England after rugby World Cup loss
- All the reaction to South Africa’s win over England in the Rugby World Cup final
- Rugby World Cup win shows what South Africa can achieve — Kolisi
- Sports Shorts: Nishikori, Thiem shocked; Messi injured as Argentina lose
- The best PlayStation 4 exclusives you can get right now
Japan emotional after World Cup loss have 297 words, post on www.foxsports.com at July 6, 2015. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.