SAN DIEGO (AP) There are far worse places to coach minor league hockey than sunny San Diego.Yes, Dallas Eakins seems to have won a lottery of sorts, being hired to coach the San Diego Gulls after the American Hockey League team moved from Norfolk, Virginia, as part of a shift to California to get several affiliates closer to their NHL parents clubs.The Gulls are the top minor league team of the Anaheim Ducks. Players will be just a phone call away from the NHL, which is a 90-minute drive up Interstate 5.Even so, Eakins professes not to be in a rush to get back to the NHL despite being fired in the middle of last season by the Edmonton Oilers.”I believe that if I do a great job today and tomorrow and the next day, just as I preach to the players, that eventually that day will come,” Eakins said. ”But I will tell you this, my family has lived in Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver and now here in a very short amount of time, and I have very little interest right now in picking them up and moving anywhere.”Eakins, 48, has been all over the map in his long… Read full this story
- Listen up, bosses! Winning-at-any-cost culture hurts output, teamwork
- Column: Unexpected death of ESPN’s Edward Aschoff hit home
- Candid Coaches: What is your No. 1 issue with the NCAA Tournament selection process?
- Who says animals don't have feelings? Chimps who laugh, dogs who sulk and elephants with empathy... after decades spent studying animal behaviour, Professor Frans de Waal argues our fellow mammals are just as emotional as we are
- Philip Rivers saddened over lack of Chargers fans for final home game of 2019
- Caroline Flack's boyfriend Lewis Burton looks down in the dumps as he steps out a day after the ex-Love Island host fled to LA amid assault charge
- Bruce Bochy’s success changed the Giants forever but didn’t change him
- SFPD dead last in solving violent crime
- Duva’s XI: Overseas trio Zach Duncan, Josh Laws and Dylan Ryan in Graham Arnold’s Socceroos plans for 2020
- MaxPreps High School Top 50 boys baseball national rankings
Ex-Oilers boss Eakins feels at home coaching San Diego Gulls have 356 words, post on www.foxsports.com at October 9, 2015. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.