Annie is the Honored Kid for Giving Tuesday for the St. Baldricks Foundation, which raises money for childhood cancer research. St. Baldricks Foundation Advertisement Hot on the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday comes Giving Tuesday, and although cold, hard cash is still involved, it’s a day with a decidedly more altruistic bent. Charities try to get people to donate money to their causes, all on the same day. But where did Giving Tuesday come from? And does it really work? Launched in 2012, Giving Tuesday (often styled with a hashtag as #GivingTuesday) was created by the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y. This New York City-based cultural center sought to use a social media-based platform to kick off the charitable giving season, while also encouraging donors not to wait until the end of the year to make contributions. The organization teamed up with the United Nations Foundation and executives from Mashable, Facebook and Groupon to spread the word about the day. “Year-end is one natural deadline [for donations] largely for tax reasons. Giving Tuesday is meant to be another when people presumably already have their wallets open and a bit of retail guilt from holiday shopping,”… Read full this story
- Black Monday Recap: SEC You Next Tuesday
- Veterans Day 2018: All the places vets can get freebies and meal deals Sunday and Monday
- Cyber experts raise fears that UK Grindr users' data is at risk
- Spy chiefs will give ministers special mobiles 'that can't be hacked'
- Kamala Harris is open to compromise on private insurers' role during 'Medicare for all' push
- Kamala Harris is open to multiple paths to 'Medicare-for-all'
- HIV status of over 14,000 people leaked online, Singapore authorities say
- ‘Captain Marvel’-ous: Opening Soars To $302M+ Overseas, $456M Global As MCU Crossing $18B – International Box Office
- Tappan Zee Bridge demolition: Expect hourlong bottleneck Tuesday
- The people who return most of what they buy
After Cyber Monday, People Open Their Wallets for Giving Tuesday have 313 words, post on money.howstuffworks.com at November 28, 2016. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.