With Run The Series , The A.V. Club examines film franchises, studying how they change and evolve with each new installment. Advertisement Even as a novelty act, Alvin And The Chipmunks were pretty thin gruel. Created by Armenian-American songwriter (and Rear Window bit player) Ross Bagdasarian under the Anglicized pseudonym "David Seville," the Chipmunks were a spin-off from Bagdasarian's first big novelty hit, " Witch Doctor ," which featured Bagdasarian spouting gibberish at double speed in its chorus. After that song reached No. 1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts, Bagdasarian figured he had a winning idea on his hands, and decided to repurpose the song's high-pitched recording technique from kitschy racial stereotypes to cuddly anthropomorphism. Thus, Alvin, Simon, and Theodore and their manager/dad Dave—all voiced by Bagdasarian—were born. The Chipmunks' first single was the "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)," which was apparently far less irritating in 1958 than it is today, reaching No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 just in time for Christmas. Bagdasarian kept pumping out squeaky novelty records, many of them original compositions, throughout the radical cultural changes of the '60s, culminating in a 10-year anniversary rehash of "The Chipmunk Song"… Read full this story
- Charlotte Crosby defends ex Stephen Bear against cheating accusations but insists she'll 'never' go back... as she reunites with her Geordie Shore co-stars to film series finale
- Twist in the tale: super spin-offs start to replace film remakes and sequels
- Olivia Attwood looks stylish in a form-fitting top and jeans as she films new reality show with fiancé Bradley Dack
- Olivia Attwood looks VERY glamorous in a silk shirt and shorts combo with Chanel accessories as she films new reality show with fiancé Bradley Dack
- Best Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Screen Protectors in 2020
- Ryan Thomas 'turns down Strictly Come Dancing as he doesn't want to leave fiancée Lucy Mecklenburgh and their baby son Roman'
- Game of Thrones: Iwan Rheon was ''s****ing it'' watching Hardhome but insists episode was better than most films
- Trevor Noah Made the Best Biden-Harris Jokes on Late Night This Week
- Seth Meyers Details Technical Challenges of Filming at Home
- Best Netflix movies: the best films you can watch on Netflix UK right now
Alvin And The Chipmunks turned a one-note joke into a 4-film series have 378 words, post on www.avclub.com at January 12, 2017. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.