As a teenager in the 1990s, I had two overarching career aspirations: to be a comedian and to play in a rock band. The fact that I suffered from crippling social anxiety and didn’t know a single guitar scale didn’t seem like a hindrance to either. The rising “alt” comics at the time—Janeane Garofalo, David Cross, Sarah Silverman, Patton Oswalt, Todd Barry—projected a sort of ironic aloofness that ran counter to the Evening At The Improv mugging I’d been raised on, suggesting it was possible to be both painfully introverted and famous. And even my clumsy fists could squeeze out a Pavement song. And I was, in my opinion, a better than average drummer. More notably, these did not feel like mutually exclusive goals. While comics and musicians have shared stages since the days of vaudeville, and every rock star wants to be a comedian and vice versa, in the ’90s they felt inextricably linked. From my limited purview as a (mostly) pre-internet only child in the Texas suburbs, hearing Janeane Garofalo drop Weezer references in her specials or seeing David Cross wear a Superchunk shirt on Mr. Show was akin to witnessing proselytizers for a world of cool I’d… Read full this story
- The Iron Giant Is Trending Because the Internet Realized It Still Loves the Movie 20 Years Later
- Wayne Coyne looks back on 'Clouds Taste Metallic' 20 years later
- Bald Eagle Hatched At San Francisco Zoo Spotted 20 Years Later In Riverside County
- Bob Odenkirk and David Cross Explain How
- Childhood sweethearts born on the same day in the same hospital marry 23 years later after meeting in a secondary school science class - and they're both junior doctors, too
- 'We needed to follow our own paths': Fern Britton speaks out on split from Phil Vickery after 20 years of marriage as star insists she's feeling 'confident, strong and indestructible'
- Kottiyoor rape case: Fr Robin sentenced to 20 years' rigorous imprisonment
- GMB viewers accuse Ben Shephard of 'cutting off' co-host Kate Garraway during their 'first row in 20 years' as they debate reclining seats on planes
- Angel Cast Reunites for Series' 20-Year Anniversary
- Toddler who was drugged and beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend is finally laid to rest over two years later as grieving father wins legal fight to bury her after he was left off of her birth certificate
Yo La Tengo and David Cross (barely) remember “Sugarcube” 20 years later have 397 words, post on music.avclub.com at April 22, 2017. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.