Payless ShoeSource could nearly double the number of store closures under its bankruptcy plan as the extent of the discount footwear chain’s troubles come into sharper focus.The company, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April, is asking a federal bankruptcy judge for permission to close up to 408 additional stores.Those closings add to about 400 locations the Topeka, Kan.-based retailer already put on the chopping block when it tumbled into bankruptcy.Taken together, the 800-some locations would represent about 20% of Payless’ total locations worldwide. More on store closings: These retailers are closing stores in 2017: J.C. Penney, Kmart, Macy’s, more Sears quietly adds 30 more stores to the previous list of 150 locations See if your J.C. Penney store is among 138 closuresPayless said it needs to accelerate store closures after efforts to secure lower rent at those locations failed. The company said it had further analyzed its footprint and determined that the latest round of stores had poor sales, physical location or other “specific circumstances” preventing them from being successful.In a court filing, the company left open the possibility that additional negotiations with landlords could “result in consensual modifications and rent concessions” before a June 8 hearing on the… Read full this story
- Payless ShoeSource bankruptcy plans: Will stores close?
- Payless ShoeSource seeks bankruptcy protection again
- Payless to close 248 Canadian stores, saying it's ‘ill-equipped’ for market
- More than 4,900 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- More than 5,300 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- More than 5,600 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- More than 5,800 stores are closing in 2019 as the retail apocalypse drags on — here’s the full list
- Marking the last days of the Toys “R” Us era
- Sears to Stay Open, After Edward Lampert Prevails in Bankruptcy Auction
Payless ShoeSource could close another 400 stores in bankruptcy have 323 words, post on www.usatoday.com at May 31, 2017. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.