LOS ANGELES (AFP) – It may not get the same affection lavished on “Iron Man” or “Captain America,” but the “Thor” franchise looks set to complete a record year for Marvel on its opening weekend. Bolstered by glowing early reviews, “Thor: Ragnarok” — the third instalment of the God of Thunder’s intergalactic exploits — is projected to take $90 to $100 million from Friday through Sunday. If it hits the higher end of that estimate, the Disney-owned studio will celebrate its first hat-trick of $100 million-plus domestic openings in one calendar year — following the success of “Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2” and “Spider-Man: Homecoming.” Indie director Taika Waititi’s quirky sense of humor is being credited with piquing interest in the franchise, four years after the listless “Thor: The Dark World” performed well at the box office but failed to wow critics. “‘Thor Ragnarok’ is one of the funniest Marvel Studio movies thus far, definitely the best Thor film,” Peter Sciretta, owner of the SlashFilm entertainment website, tweeted after a preview screening. Yahoo Entertainment writer Kevin Polowy described the movie as “hilarious & weird & offbeat & retro & sublime,” adding: “Love how Marvel let Taika Waititi make a… Read full this story
- Mark Ruffalo relives his greatest Marvel goof-up, says ‘If I haven’t been kicked out by now, no one will’
- Thor: Love and Thunder release date, cast, Natalie Portman as Thor and everything else we know
- Mark Ruffalo Celebrates Chris Hemsworth's Birthday with Throwback Thor Photos
- Seth Rogen interview: "If you're going to make a huge comedy, your competition is Marvel"
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' breaks global record with $630 million opening
- Lowly flies get super names as scientists find inspiration in Marvel
- Christian Bale bodyboards with his cute five-year-old son Joseph during family beach day in Malibu
- Rogue One Hits Box Office Milestone, Helps Disney Set New Record
- Marvel television series: What MCU shows will be released and who are the main characters?
‘Thor: Ragnarok’ could cap record year for Marvel have 315 words, post on entertainment.mb.com.ph at October 20, 2017. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.