In January 2002, former US President George W. Bush characterized Iran, Iraq and North Korea as “rogue states” in an “axis of evil.” At the time, John Bolton was the US undersecretary of state for arms control and international security. In May 2002, Bolton gave a speech titled “Beyond the axis of evil,” during which he placed Syria, Libya and Cuba on the “axis” and promised that the US would “take all necessary measures” to eliminate terrorist threats from these countries. Now, 16 years later, Bolton has the ear of President Donald Trump as his national security adviser. Read more: John Bolton: The conservative hawk tapped by Trump Attack instead of negotiate? By appointing Bolton as his national security adviser, Trump has installed an extreme proponent of regime change in Iran, and if necessary, violent regime change. In 2015, shortly before the signing of the Iranian nuclear deal, Bolton had demanded that Iran be bombed rather than global powers trying to deter Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb. Bolton has reportedly maintained contacts with the People’s Mujahedin of Iran, a political militant organization in exile that advocates the violent overthrow of the Iranian regime. The group has been accused of launching several terrorist attacks… Read full this story
- How the U.S. and North Korea Are Preparing for the Trump-Kim Summit
- John Bolton urges US to resume military exercises in South Korea
- John Bolton Contradicts Trump North Korea Nuclear Disarmament Claims, Says Kim Jong Un 'Will Never Give Up'
- Former National Security Adviser John Bolton Says North Korea Risk to US Forces and Allies is 'Imminent'
- Trump Creating a New Cold War? North Korea, Russia, Syria and Cuba Now Working Together Against the U.S.
- Former U.S. adviser warns of ‘imminent’ North Korea risk
- Why America should strike an interim deal with North Korea
- New satellite images show expansion of North Korea long-range missile plant
- Japanese woman abducted by North Korea 'still alive'
- Former US Adviser Warns of 'Imminent' North Korea Risk
Iran and North Korea: The return of John Bolton's 'axis of evil'? have 322 words, post on www.dw.com at January 23, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.