Home / News / UK and world by Press Association February 13, 2018, 3:27 pm FacebookTwitterLinkedInWhatsAppEmail Sign up to our Daily newsletter A British warship is to sail through waters disputed by China next month, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has said. HMS Sutherland, a Type 23 frigate, will travel through the South China Sea on the way back from a deployment to the Pacific, he told The Australian newspaper. The international waterway is at the centre of an international row between China, which has made territorial claims on islands in the area, and other nearby nations. US warships have previously drawn protests from Beijing by travelling within the 12-mile Chinese territorial waters around the islands. be sailing through the South China Sea and making it clear our navy has a right to do that Mr Williamson told The Australian that Britain “support(s) the US approach on this”. He added: “She’ll (Sutherland) be sailing through the South China Sea and making it clear our navy has a right to do that.” Sutherland and her fellow Type 23 HMS Argyll are heading to the Pacific “to continue the pressure campaign on North Korea”, the Ministry of Defence said. Mr Williamson met Australian… Read full this story
- US warships sail through South China Sea amid escalating tensions with Beijing
- North Korea warns UK against ‘act of war’ after Royal Navy deployed to enforce sanctions
- Fears grow new ships to support Royal Navy will be built overseas
- Chinese military 'challenged Australian warships in the South China Sea'
- Defence Secretary hails new submarine facility in Moray visit
- U.S. warship sails near island claimed by China in South China Sea
- Royal Navy ship HMS St Albans escorts Russian frigate Yaroslav Mudry as it passes close to British coast
- Australian navy warship visits Ho Chi Minh city
- Defects in Royal Navy’s newest patrol ship HMS Forth will be fixed ‘rapidly’, BAE Systems vows
- US-China war over South China Sea reefs will not happen, says Philippines’ defence secretary
Royal Navy warship to sail through disputed sea off China – Defence Secretary have 319 words, post on www.keighleynews.co.uk at February 13, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.