Health officials in Illinois are warning people that synthetic marijuana can cause bleeding from the ears and eyes, according to news reports. According to a March 27 statement from the Illinois Department of Public Health, six people experienced severe bleeding; all six had reported using synthetic pot. Yesterday (March 29), the Chicago Tribune reported that the number had risen to 22, a figure that included cases dating back to March 7. Synthetic marijuana, also called K2 or spice, isn’t a substitute for marijuana, Live Science reported in 2016. Instead, the substances get this name because they’re loosely related, chemically, to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient in pot. These THC-like chemicals are then sprayed onto plant products and sold as synthetic marijuana. But the chemicals used can be different every time the K2 is made, and therefore, symptoms are unpredictable. Even so, severe bleeding is not a known side effect of the drugs, Dr. Melissa Millewich, an emergency room physician at Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Illinois, told the Tribune. “This bleeding is not expected, at least in such a significant population so quickly,” she said. Millewich added that a change in the formula used in the drug could be… Read full this story
- A Point of View: Does cosmetic surgery really make people feel better about their bodies?
- P.K. Subban showing Nashville he knows how to make entrance
- New York Rangers offense is making people forget about defensive woes
- Rams make an eye-catching change to their helmets for the 2017 season
- Bears great Dan Hampton: McCaskeys 'don't know much about football'
- Dana White: ‘What is Nate Diaz worth without Conor McGregor? I don’t know’
- Defying expectations, people with autism are participating and excelling in sports
- Donte DiVincenzo turned tournament heroics into NBA opportunity
- Vietnam placed above Thailand in Asian Cup 2019 seed pots
- David Fizdale suspects Kawhi Leonard is a robot who ‘bleeds antifreeze’
Doctors Don't Know Why This Synthetic Pot Is Making People's Eyes Bleed have 316 words, post on www.livescience.com at March 29, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.