Stephen Bannon, who was ousted as White House chief strategist last summer but has remained in touch with some members of president Donald Trump’s circle, is pitching a plan to West Wing aides and congressional allies to cripple the federal probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to four people familiar with the discussions. The first step, these people say, would be for Mr Trump to fire deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, who oversees the work of special counsel Robert Mueller and in recent days signed off on a search warrant of Mr Trump’s longtime personal lawyer, Michael Cohen. Mr Bannon is also recommending the White House cease its cooperation with Mr Mueller, reversing the policy of Mr Trump’s legal team to provide information to the special counsel’s team and to allow staff members to sit for interviews. Read more Mueller requests 35 blank subpoenas in case against Manafort Mueller interviews FBI’s top lawyer to see if Trump obstructed justice White House aides ‘fear Trump will fire Mueller over lawyer raid’ Mark Zuckerberg says countering Russian interference ‘is an arms race’ Robert Mueller investigating $150,000 payment to Trump by businessman And he is telling associates inside and outside… Read full this story
- Trump strategist Steve Bannon removed from National Security Council
- Donald Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon leaves the White House
- Donald Trump’s ‘sharing of classified material’ with Russia endangered Israeli spy inside ISIS, officials say
- Who is Hunter Biden and why is Donald Trump talking about him?
- ‘ Nigel Farage says Donald Trump’s inauguration speech was ‘great’ and claims he will usher in new era of warm relations with UK
- Charles Koch Comes Around To President Donald Trump
- Donald Trump has a surprisingly high number of Irish connections in his White House staff – here are his green picks
- Opinion: Trump is following Bannon's agenda
- Joe Arpaio pardoned by Donald Trump, Sebastian Gorka leaves White House
- Opinion: Spicer, Priebus exits highlight Donald Trump's dangerous demand for fealty
Donald Trump’s former strategist Steve Bannon plotting abrupt end to Russia investigation, insiders say have 324 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at April 12, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.