Originally published in the February 1997 issue of GQ as “Shandling Agnosites” this story appears here with the author’s permission. Garry Shandling is worrying a piece of plain chicken (no skin, no sauce, no guilt) with a plastic fork. The tines quiver with indecision (eat? talk? eat and talk and risk having a meteor of thigh meat land on those dry-cleaned jeans … shit! There it goes). He is sitting in his generic office on the CBS lot in Studio City (motel-room art, no personal items, no fingerprints—no clues!), in L.A., alternately taking off his violet sunglasses and peering through his clear tortoise specs. “Gee, maybe I should put in my contacts.” He looks squinty and pained, not unlike his HBO alter ego, talk-show host Larry Sanders, bumping into a lower-tier celeb he never invites on his show. “I’m so confused, I’ll probably start asking you the questions.” Having banished the chicken to the other side of the room, he has begun poking at a baked potato—plain—but abandons it after a short skirmish. It seems an appropriate time to try to momentarily still this fretful man—a 47-year-old actor/comic/writer currently responsible for The Larry Sanders Show, the funniest, best-written sitcom on… Read full this story
- 'Getting too powerful': Fears bikie turf war heating up after daylight bashing, firebombing
- Power tariff declaration for 2021-22 in Delhi likely to see further delay
- NSA slapped on man who shot at power dept SDO after being caught stealing power
- Newsom sounds like Gray Davis in fighting recall as GOP 'power grab'
- NHL Power Rankings: Best all-time expansion draft moves
- Donald Trump's Campaign Is Based on Fear
- 'His Reichstag Moment': Mark Milley Reportedly Feared Trump Might Attack Iran to Stay in Power
- Chernobyl fears after blasts at ‘ticking time bomb’ Belarus nuke plant
- For Autocrats, and Others, Coronavirus Is a Chance to Grab Even More Power
- Vauxhall and Nissan silence Project Fear after claims UK car industry 'withering away'
Garry Shandling's Power Was His Fear have 322 words, post on thestacks.deadspin.com at April 9, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.