Tech & Science Virgin Galactic Richard Branson Space tourism company Virgin Galactic launched its first rocket-powered flight test since an accident in 2014 left one person dead. The flight successfully broke the sound barrier but did not travel far enough to hit space, Quartz reported. Early Thursday morning, the company’s SpaceShipTwo VSS Unity suborbital vehicle was launched mid-flight by White Knight Two, a larger plane. Although the VSS Unity has previously done many glide tests, this was the first time its rocket motor was turned on. Related: Ultrafast Plane May Make the Trip From Beijing to New York City in Two Hours The spacecraft, whose engine burned for 30 seconds total, took off from California’s Mojave Air and Space Port, according to a tweet from Richard Branson’s company. “#WhiteKnightTwo pilots, Mike “Sooch” Masucci and Nicola Pecile have landed VMS Eve safely, completely today’s important test flight @MojaveAirport,” the tweet said. Recommended Slideshows 51 In Pictures: The 50 Most Powerful Military Forces in the World 44 In Pictures: Every U.S. President Ranked From Best to Worst 51 In Pictures: Top 50 U.S. Cities Ranked by Quality of Life And Average Salary Unity’s successful trip brings Virgin Galactic one step closer to their ultimate goal: to get… Read full this story
- Virgin Galactic's second spaceship hits crucial 'Weight on Wheels' milestone that brings it one-step closer to taking tourists into space
- SpaceShipTwo crash: Virgin Galactic to assess what went wrong
- Several trials after, drivers face fresh prosecution for fatal accident
- Virgin Galactic’s next spaceship reaches build milestone
- Blue Origin successfully launches and lands its New Shepard rocket during 12th overall test flight
- Virgin Galactic stock is soaring because of a far-off prediction about hypersonic air travel
- JetBlue to power some flights with "sustainable" jet fuel
- If you can't drive, don't rent cars: Goa CM on fatal accident
- Drone delivered: Beyond visual range test flights to commence soon
- JetBlue announces plans to go carbon-neutral, power some flights with 'sustainable aviation fuel'
Virgin Galactic Lands First Rocket-Powered Test Flight After 2014 Fatal Accident have 332 words, post on www.newsweek.com at April 5, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.