Pope Francis got a Lamborghini Huracan last year with a one-off design just for him. But what’s a pope going to do with a Huracan? Floor it down the streets of Vatican City, putting the fear of God in everyone? Of course not. The pope is going to auction it for charity, which he did. It sold for almost $1 million.
Lamborghini gifted Pope Francis the rear-wheel-drive supercar late last year, specially painted in the colors of the Vatican. There was a special ceremony and everything, where the pope signed the hood of the car.
The Huracan then went to RM Sotheby’s auction in Monaco over the weekend, where the auction house’s website said it got caught in a “frantic bidding war” among a “large number of bidders.” Surely all of those bidders were more concerned with the charity donation than the car, since this was all for charity.
The car sold for about $970,000 at current exchange rates—nearly five times the starting price of a regular Huracan—but that number left it barely off the list of the 10 most expensive sales from the weekend. The car that placed 10th, a 1999 Lamborghini Diablo GT, sold for $976,000 at current exchange rates.
That list was probably immediately faxed over, via some under-the-table deal, to the Judgement Day administrative offices and filed under “Selfish Use of Personal Funds: May 12, 2018.”
“But, but, but…” the Huracan buyer will say when they’re no longer on earth with that fancy Lamborghini and their file of life decisions is read, years from now. “The money went to charity! I did people a favor!”
The file is then stamped “It was for a good cause” and stacked on a pile with all of the grossly overpaid charity executives.
- Want to drive a Lamborghini or a Ferrari? These Southern California speedways put amateur racers on the track
- Big Papa: Pope gets white-and-yellow Lamborghini
- This ham just sold for $2.8 million at the Kentucky State Fair
- Lamborghini joins the boom in supercar SUVs with Urus unveiling
- Lamborghini joins the boom in supercar SUVs with Urus
- Lamborghini joins the boom in supercar SUVs
- Champion ham sells for $2.8 million at the Kentucky State Fair
- Philippines President Duterte Orders Luxury Vehicles Worth $5.5 Million Crushed
- Argentina's Senate rejects legalizing abortion, in Pope's homeland
- Can Beyoncé top Billy Graham, the pope or Farm Aid? Past big events at Williams-Brice