SLOVIANSK, DONETSK REGION, UKRAINE – Amid rumors among Russian media outlets that Moscow’s top envoy to Ukrainian peace negotiations has resigned, the top U.S. interlocutor says he expects Russia to return to the table with a peacekeeping proposal.U.S. Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations Kurt Volker, who last met with his Russian counterpart Vladislav Surkov in January, told VOA he had not received word on Surkov’s status or about a new meeting.His last discussion with Surkov, Volker said, left him with the impression that Moscow would soon “come back to us with a proposal for how a peacekeeping force could grow in terms of geography and mandate and along a timeline.””That would be very interesting to see, and we would be very prepared to sit down with the Russians to talk about that,” Volker said. “We remain ready to bring peace to this region, but we need to hear from the Russians.”Volker arrived Tuesday in Donbas to discuss the security situation near the front lines with Ukraine’s Joint Forces Commander, Lieutenant-General Serhiy Nayev.Restoring infrastructureThe U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) said Monday it would provide Kyiv with $125 million for infrastructure rehabilitation projects in Donbas and adjacent territories.Donbas, an area bordering… Read full this story
- Let's get real: Democrats were first to enlist Ukraine in US elections
- Few answers year after MH17 downed in Ukraine
- 'The west is wrong to write off Ukraine's debts'
- Ukraine crisis: John Kerry and Sergey Lavrov meet for talks on Crimea vote
- How the Obama White House engaged Ukraine to give Russia collusion narrative an early boost
- Ukraine conflict: Can the Minsk-2 peace deal with Russia be salvaged?
- Russia’s tough rhetoric over Ukraine does not tell the whole story
- Ukraine calls for further military and financial support
- Ukraine separatists vote in elections denounced by West
- 2016 again? Trump rejects intel reports of Russian meddling
US Envoy for Ukraine Anticipates Russian Return to Talks have 311 words, post on www.voanews.com at May 16, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.