Part of the ceiling collapsed at the Borough Hall subway station in Brooklyn this afternoon.
The incident happened around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Witness Eric Chan wrote on Twitter that he heard a loud bang, then saw the collapsed ceiling at the front end of the Manhattan-bound 4/5 train platform. A police spokesperson says that there was one minor injury in the partial collapse.
@NYCTSubway I heard a loud bang, I turn around, and a part of the ceiling COLLAPSED. This was on the Manhattan bound 4/5 train platform near the front end. There was a lady standing close to the platform edge and her suitcase got knocked over from the debris, I hope she’s okay. pic.twitter.com/7vRzi8SabZ
— Eric Chan (@Erikku_Chan) June 20, 2018
William Meyer told Gothamist that the station was being roped off when he took the photos below.
Fallen ceiling and lights at Borough Hall 4/5 line pic.twitter.com/PLDhfWtmUp
— William Meyer (@wmmiv) June 20, 2018
The MTA says that northbound 4 and 5 trains are currently bypassing Borough Hall because of the fallen debris. Check back for updates as more details fall into place.
Roof caved in at #BoroughHall. Police say one person was injured. 4/5 trains bypassing the stop. Hey @NYGovCuomo can you fix the subway so we don’t have to worry about the roof falling in? #nyc #subway cc: @CynthiaNixon pic.twitter.com/H3KA1tNqFT
— Andrew Welch (@andrewpwelch) June 20, 2018
PHOTO: Ceiling collapse in subway station at Court St & Fulton St. pic.twitter.com/kdbPtip3Jj
— New York City Alerts (@NYCityAlerts) June 20, 2018
And here is a photo from the Borough Hall station taken in April:
— Jason Rabinowitz (@AirlineFlyer) April 6, 2018
- Subway strike suspended in Sao Paulo, but Rio de Janeiro under threat
- Brazilian police clash with striking subway workers in Sao Paulo
- Heavyweight Denis Boytsov in coma after being injured in subway tunnel
- Russian boxer in coma after incident in Berlin subway
- Workers find more loose plates in Assembly Hall
- Workers find more loose plates in Indiana’s Assembly Hall
- St. John’s upsets No. 23 Seton Hall 59-50
- Big Board, Version 5: New faces break into Klatt’s Top 50
- Torre elected to Hall of Fame as manager
- Subway workers enter fourth day of strike action ahead of World Cup