Porsche appears to be edging closer to setting an outright lap record around the Nurburgring with the crazy Porsche 919 Evo.
The German marque first brought its unrestricted ex-LMP1 car to the Nordschleife during the Nurburgring 24 Hours where it completed a parade lap alongside a 956C. After the 919 failed to set a fast lap during that outing, many had lost hope that Porsche would look to demolish its own track record.
However, it has since been confirmed that Porsche recently hired out ‘Green Hell’ for testing of the 919 Evo in what was probably a data-gathering trip. While it’s unlikely the racer has been driven to its absolute limits straight out of the box, footage from the track shows the car lapping the track at warp speed. Seriously, the 919 Evo is so fast that it defies comprehension.
After the shakedown, the Porsche LMP1 Team confirmed on Twitter that Timo Bernhard was behind the wheel. A little bird has also informed us that the car may have lapped the ‘Ring in less than 5 minutes 30 seconds during these tests. If true, that would leave Bellof’s former record of 6:11 for dead.
Thanks to a host of modifications from the original racer, the 919 Evo delivers 1160 hp from its turbocharged V4 engine and electric powertrain. What’s more, the car also delivers more downforce than a Formula One car.
- Apple just broke its own record as the most valuable publicly traded company of all time
- New VW GTI Clubsport S breaks Nurburgring lap record
- 1,007 synchronized dancing robots just broke a world record
- Khairul Hafiz Just Broke The Oldest Record In Malaysian Athletics
- Drake’s new album just broke a streaming record
- The terrifying ‘It’ trailer people are obsessed with just broke a viewing record
- This hedge fund billionaire just broke real estate records in New York, Chicago and Miami
- These Malaysian Magicians' Jaw-Dropping Act Just Broke A Guinness World Record
- Michael Dunlop obliterates lap record in Isle of Man
- A French soldier just broke the long-distance shooting record by hitting a target over 2 miles away