Porsche returned to the Nurburgring Nordschleife with the 919 Hybrid Evo to set a new all-time lap time record and the result speaks for itself: 5 minutes, 19.546 seconds, which means an average speed of 145.6mph (234km/h) across the 20.8km-long track (12.9 miles). With Timo Bernhard sitting behind the wheel of the 919 Hybrid Evo, Porsche has beaten the Stefan Bellof’s lap record (6:11.13) that stood for 35 years by no less than 51 seconds. The record car is a heavily reworked version of last year’s Le Mans winner, with Porsche upgrading the aerodynamics to produce 53 percent more downforce and lowering the weight by 39kg (85lbs) to 849kg (1871lbs). The hybrid powertrain of the 919 has been similarly upgraded to produce a combined 1160hp, with the turbocharged V4 engine making 710hp and an electric motor providing 433hp. Last April, Porsche took the 919 Hybrid Evo with Neel Jani behind the wheel to Spa Francorchamps, where it also broke the overall lap record with a 1:14.770, beating the previous record set by Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes F1 car. Stefan Bellof set the previous Nurburgring lap record during qualifying for the Nurburgring 1000km race in 1983, driving a Porsche 956… Read full this story
- Northern Ireland alcohol-related deaths hit record high
- Porsche turns Le Mans-winning 919 race car tyres into vinyl records
- #KeepFightingMichael: Sporting world pays tribute to Schumacher on 50th birthday
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS review: Ahead of the new model's arrival, we bid auf wiedersehen to the fastest road-legal Porsche ever
- Porsche lifts the lid on drop-top 911
- Porsche launches new ‘T’ variants of 718 Cayman and Boxster
- Honest John: how can I avoid the expense of cold-weather tyres for my £55,000 Porsche?
- Hollyoaks’ Twinnie Lee Moore is unrecognisable from wild child Porsche McQueen as she reinvents herself as a country music star
- On the run: record field turns up for the Southend parkrun
- Celebrated chef Andrew Fairlie dies, aged 55
Porsche 919 Tribute Destroyed The Nurburgring Lap Record Posting A 5:19.55! have 312 words, post on www.carscoops.com at June 29, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.