The mass fish deaths have been found on the West Lake over the past two days. Hanoi authorities have asked West Lake Fish Company to collect the dead fish.
The dead fish along Trich Sai Street
On the morning of July 9, a large number of dead fish were seen along Lac Long Quan Street.
Director of the city’s Department of Construction Le Van Duc said that the phenomenon was caused by the recent heatwave.
A representative from Hanoi Sewerage and Drainage Limited Company said that the company measured very low oxygen levels near the banks of the lake and the final conclusion on the incident would be announced after the result of other tests from the lake are processed.
The dead fish estimated at 25 tonnes
Around 500 workers have been organised to collect the dead fish. Many volunteers have also joined the work.
A volunteer collecting the dead fish
Big fish were also found dead on the lake
Bags of dead fish collected to be destroyed
Earlier in October 2016, hundreds of tonnes of fish were also found dead on the West Lake. Test results from the Hanoi Department of Natural Resources and Environment showed that the fish died from lack of oxygen.
- Worrying rise in number of deaths on West Yorkshire's roads
- Tramcar tour to Hanoi's West Lake
- Lure of big fish draws anglers to Lake Michigan shores
- Foreign appetite for fish meal threatens West Africans' livelihood
- Salmon fishing in New Jersey? Landlocked fish added to fourth lake in bid to lure anglers
- After years of hiatus, mass to be held in Lake Van’s Armenian Holy Cross Cathedral
- Fishing report: Conemaugh River Lake yielding variety of catches
- Numerous dead fish float in Hanoi’s largest lake
- 5 dishes every Hanoi visitor needs to try
- A tranquil lake, stunning wildflowers and a moderate hike: This could be the trail for you