“” Literature is passed out during a voter registration drive sponsored by The Partnership for the Homeless, Sept. 29, 2004, in New York City. The group had registered 2,000 homeless people and planned to register more before the November election. Spencer Platt/Getty Images If voting is the cornerstone of American democracy, then why does it have to be such a pain? Election Day in the U.S. is always a Tuesday, smack in the middle of the work week. If you move to a new state or county, you need to re-register. State voter ID requirements change all the time, so you could show up to a polling station, wait in line and still get blocked from voting. Now imagine that you’re homeless in America. You move so frequently that it’s nearly impossible to maintain a stable mailing address. You’ve never had a driver’s license and your Social Security card was lost years ago. You can’t afford transportation to the county elections office or your local polling place. And frankly, you have a lot more pressing problems than registering to vote. Advertisement Advertisement So, while homeless people have every right to vote in U.S. elections (and may want to if only… Read full this story
- 'The broken politics of Brexit has masked the horror of Britain's homelessness'
- Opinion: Why giving six-year-olds the vote isn’t actually such a bad idea
- The online shop that helps homeless people battle the cold in London
- Homeless 20 times more likely to die from drug misuse
- How the homeless will be helped in Coventry this Christmas
- As election campaigns hustle to get out the vote, homeless voters are often forgotten
- Miguel Delaney: 'For anyone in Rice's position, nationality isn't that easy'
- While Homeless Freeze in US, Senate Focuses on Keeping Troops Abroad
- Bags of love for the homeless are being left around Plymouth
- Meet the homeless spending Christmas on Plymouth's streets
Homeless Americans Can Vote, But It Isn't Easy have 322 words, post on people.howstuffworks.com at August 6, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.