“” Literature is passed out during a voter registration drive sponsored by The Partnership for the Homeless, Sept. 29, 2004, in New York City. The group had registered 2,000 homeless people and planned to register more before the November election. Spencer Platt/Getty Images If voting is the cornerstone of American democracy, then why does it have to be such a pain? Election Day in the U.S. is always a Tuesday, smack in the middle of the work week. If you move to a new state or county, you need to re-register. State voter ID requirements change all the time, so you could show up to a polling station, wait in line and still get blocked from voting. Now imagine that you’re homeless in America. You move so frequently that it’s nearly impossible to maintain a stable mailing address. You’ve never had a driver’s license and your Social Security card was lost years ago. You can’t afford transportation to the county elections office or your local polling place. And frankly, you have a lot more pressing problems than registering to vote. Advertisement Advertisement So, while homeless people have every right to vote in U.S. elections (and may want to if only… Read full this story
- Choosing a vote: as easy as O-E-C-D?
- What Is MCS? Multiple Chemical Sensitivity 'Affects Millions of Americans,' But It Isn't a Real Illness
- New site emerges after Minneapolis council delays a decision on relocating homeless camp
- Downtown San Jose welcomes first 100% homeless housing project
- Sugar Land city, police officers sued for alleged homeless man beatdown
- CDC committee recommends hepatitis A vaccination for homeless people
- Hospitals Are Releasing Homeless Patients Back To The Streets. There's A Better Way.
- 'Sesame Street' Muppet is first to experience homelessness
- Doctor Warns US Homeless at Risk For Leprosy
- More than 39,000 veterans are homeless each night: How you can help
Homeless Americans Can Vote, But It Isn't Easy have 318 words, post on people.howstuffworks.com at August 6, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.