Why bother to learn anything in school if politicians won’t pay attention to the facts? This simple realisation prompted Greta Thunberg, 15, to protest in the most effective way she knew. She is on strike, refusing to go to school until Sweden’s general election on 9 September to draw attention to the climate crisis. Her protest has captured the imagination of a country that has been struck by heatwaves and wildfires in its hottest summer since records began 262 years ago. Every day for two weeks, Thunberg has been sitting quietly on the cobblestones outside parliament in central Stockholm, handing out leaflets that declare: “I am doing this because you adults are shitting on my future.” Thunberg herself is a diminutive girl with pigtails and a fleeting smile – not the stereotypical leader of a climate revolution. “I am doing this because nobody else is doing anything. It is my moral responsibility to do what I can,” she says. “I want the politicians to prioritise the climate question, focus on the climate and treat it like a crisis.” When people tell her she should be at school, she points to the textbooks in her satchel. “I have my books here,”… Read full this story
- Police charge man, 26, with murdering 27-year-old who was stabbed to death when a fight broke out at a party in east London
- Teacher, 53, who ‘liked to be called a slut during rough sex with 15-year-old pupil and paid £400 for him to have a romantic emblem tattooed on his chest’ was like a mother to us, says pupil
- Police arrest man for defiling, impregnating 15-year-old girl
- The wannabe 'middle class gangster' who stabbed Yousef Makki to death: Killer is revealed as 17-year-old who attended £33k-a-year private school and revelled in 'idiotic fantasies' of becoming a notorious criminal
- Marriage of 15-year-old Syrian Refugee Puts German Judges in a Quandary
- World of Warcraft is 15 years old: can a beginner still enjoy the veteran MMO?
- 'God, Use Me in Whatever Way': Meet the 24-Year-Old Who's Willing to Die for the Anti-Abortion Movement
- Next Top Model scout Jean-Luc Brunel flew poor 12-year-old triplets in from France as a BIRTHDAY PRESENT for Jeffrey Epstein to abuse, unsealed documents claim
- 'He was a lovely, caring boy': Mother of 14-year-old rammed off his bike and stabbed seven times insists he was NOT involved in drug crimes as pictures show him making a gangland gun sign and posing with cash
- How satellites will help solve the climate crisis
The Swedish 15-year-old who's cutting class to fight the climate crisis have 403 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 1, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.