And he did.
But then things took an interesting turn.
Before speaking with Hume, Carlson launched into new diatribe claiming that pro-immigration politicians hate America.
“The real threats we face today may be from within,” Carlson said. “Leaders who hate the country they govern so much that they seek to make American citizenship irrelevant.”
That comment set the stage for a gentle-but-firm takedown by Hume:
“Tucker, you know I love you, but when you were talking about leaders who hate our country, I don’t think there are any leaders out there who hate our country, except in foreign lands perhaps. I think there are people who may have all the wrong ideas about how it should be governed, but I don’t think they hate our country and I don’t really think it strengthens the case to say that they do.”
Carlson looked stung.
“Whoa, no!” he shot back. “No, I think they do!”
“If you have the richest people in our country desecrating our national symbols and that’s considered a sign of heroism, what does that say about the attitudes of the people doing it?” Carlson added. “Or if you have people saying America was never a just and good place, I mean, those are acts of hostility toward the country, I think.”
Hume wasn’t buying it.
“They’re criticism of the country,” Hume said. “Whether they are actual acts of hostility I must be permitted to doubt.”
Hume also said he disagrees with some citizens’ “profoundly wrong ideas,” but that it doesn’t mean they hate the country.
“I think the word ‘hate’ is flung around with much too much abandon in our discourse today,” Hume said.
See the full segment, posted online by Media Matters, in the clip below.
- She's back! Megyn Kelly returns to Fox for interview with Tucker Carlson to discuss media bias - nearly three years after she abruptly left for NBC
- Turkey may have invaded Syria anyway even if Trump kept forces there, Brit Hume says
- Megyn Kelly to sit down with Tucker Carlson in 'first TV appearance' since NBC firing
- With post-secondary vs. the trades, it’s the parents who get schooled
- Get School Management Software at Affordable Price
- Without Shepard Smith, Fox News fans will get more of what they want: Trump propaganda
- Opinion: Fox News fans will get more of what they want, Trump propaganda
- Portland students beautify vulnerable spaces: School bathrooms
- How Do You Rank The Value Of A School?
- Who is Sam Fender? Brits Critics Choice winner set for number 1