Nashville Tennessean Published 2:38 p.m. UTC Sep 6, 2018 What is lodestar? It’s a question plaguing the internet after an anonymous New York Times op-ed was published, setting off rampant speculation about the piece’s author. Here’s the passage in the Times’ piece that caught the attention of the internet: We may no longer have Senator McCain. But we will always have his example — a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue. Mr. Trump may fear such honorable men, but we should revere them. The Indianapolis Star has put together an impressive array of stories on Vice President Mike Pence, his prior use of the term and subsequent denials of writing the op-ed. One of their stories answers this basic question: What does lodestar mean? Here’s how the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it: 1: archaic: a star that leads or guides; especially: north star 2: one that serves as an inspiration, model, or guide And here are the directionary’s provided examples of how the word can be used: The idea of public service has been a lodestar for her throughout her life. A society seemingly with unbridled greed as its only lodestar. So in layman’s, lodestar is used to describe a guiding individual or principle. Pence’s… Read full this story
- Bookies Betting on Identity of Anonymous New York Times ‘Resistance’ Op-ed Author
- President Trump wants Justice Department to investigate who wrote the anonymous NYT op-ed
- RNC’s Ronna McDaniel Calls Uncle Romney’s Anti-Trump Op-Ed ‘Disappointing and Unproductive’
- Michael Moore’s Latest Conspiracy Theory: Maybe ‘Trump Wrote’ the Anonymous NYT Op-Ed
- Trump decries anonymous Times op-ed as 'gutless'
- Trump pushes Sessions to find author of anonymous NYTimes op-ed
- Nolte: Woodward Book, Anonymous NYTimes Op-Ed Reveal Trump’s Done Nothing Wrong
- The story behind the New York Times' anonymous op-ed blasting Trump
- NYT: White House has list of 12 potential authors behind anonymous op-ed
- Mike Pence’s office takes rare step of publicly denying he was author of New York Times op-ed amid wild speculation
What does lodestar mean? It's taken on new significance after anonymous Trump op-ed have 330 words, post on eu.tennessean.com at September 6, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.