Autocar India reports that Kia Motors is working on a sub-4-metre SUV that will make its debut at the Auto Expo 2020. The new model will become the South Korean manufacturer’s second offering in India and will lock horns with market leader Maruti Vitara Brezza.
The latest development is in agreeance with an earlier report which stated that the second Kia model for India could follow in the first quarter of 2020. Currently, Kia Motors India is in the process of setting up its production facility at Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh. The company is reportedly 60 days ahead of schedule and would commence trial production in early-2019.
The sub-4-metre SUV from Kia will be its smallest offering and could be sold internationally. The Kia compact SUV will share its underpinnings with the Hyundai Styx (QXi), which will launch around March 2019. Reportedly, in spite of the platform sharing, the new model from Kia will not mimic the aesthetics of Maruti Vitara Brezza-slayer from Hyundai. Its interior is likely to feature a higher equipment level along with a better quality of materials, and you can surely expect the exterior design to be original.
The Kia Compact SUV will share engines with the Hyundai Styx (QXi). Hence, you can safely expect the new model to offer both petrol and diesel variants. The former will be powered by a 1.0-litre T-GDi turbocharged petrol engine with 118.31 hp of maximum power, whereas the latter will be propelled by a new 1.5-litre turbocharged diesel engine with a maximum output of 115 hp.
While the Styx is expected to receive a BS6-compliant version of the Grand i10 and Elite i20’s 1.2-litre Kappa petrol engine in the interest of a competitive base price, Kia Motors India might choose against engaging in pricing wars with the competition and instead project itself as a premium car company. Furthermore, the Kia compact SUV will reportedly receive a re-tuned suspension.
Kia SP Concept – Image Gallery
Source – autocarindia.com
- Expo 2020: A year to go
- Compact SUVs grow in popularity on Long Island
- Mustang Electric SUV To Arrive In 2020 As Ford Confirms EV Investment
- Luxury islands developer in Dubai hopes for Expo 2020 boost
- Government discusses preparations for Expo 2020 Dubai
- Indonesia ready to participate in World Expo 2020 in Dubai
- Huawei's woes, Expo 2020 & crowdfunding Africa
- Marian Pastor Roces and World Expo 2020
- We drove a $32,000 Subaru Forester and a $35,000 Mazda CX-5 to see which one is the better compact SUV. Here's the verdict
- I drove a $28,500 Mazda CX-3 to see if the compact SUV is really the perfect first car — here's the verdict