Robert Burns Associated Press Published 7:21 PM EST Nov 14, 2018 Washington – Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Wednesday defended the use of active duty troops on the U.S.-Mexican border, saying that in some ways it provides good training for war. He argued that it’s analogous to a 1916 deployment to counter the Mexican revolutionary Gen. Francisco “Pancho” Villa. Speaking to reporters on his way to visit U.S. troops along the border in south Texas, Mattis declined to provide an estimate of how much the mission will cost. He said cost figures he has received thus far are “not anywhere near right.” He added that he believes, “very quickly we’ll know the real cost. So we’ll keep you posted as the real costs come in.” In his most extensive remarks about the hastily arranged border mission, Mattis argued that it fits an historical pattern dating to early in the 20th century. He noted that President Woodrow Wilson deployed tens of thousands of National Guard and active duty troops to the border in 1916 in response to a Mexican military raid into the U.S. “That’s over a century ago, and the threat then was Pancho Villa’s troops – revolutionary raiding across… Read full this story
- Congress must approve construction of US-Mexico border – Trump
- Supplies for coronavirus field hospital held up at U.S.-Mexico border
- Migrant caravan: Trump defends tear gas on Mexico border
- Mattis Defends Inspector General Fired by Trump From Overseeing Coronavirus Stimulus, Says He Has 'Integrity of Highest Order'
- Mattis defends Pentagon IG removed by Trump
- Longest-Ever Smuggling Tunnel Discovered Along The US-Mexico Border
- US-Mexico border: Thousands of migrants expelled under coronavirus powers
- Ministry urges exporters to make full use of cross-border e-commerce
- Bill Maher Divides People After Defending Use of 'Chinese Virus' to Define Coronavirus Pandemic
- Train specialized for transporting vehicles used to shorten border-crossing time
Mattis defends use of military on U.S.-Mexico border have 314 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at November 13, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.