A meeting between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean officials set for Thursday in New York has been postponed and will be rescheduled “when our respective schedules permit,” the U.S. State Department said on Wednesday. In a statement, it added, “Ongoing conversations continue to take place,” but did not elaborate. “The United States remains focused on fulfilling the commitments agreed to by President Trump and Chairman Kim at the Singapore summit in June,” it said. The exact reason for the postponement was unclear. A senior South Korean foreign ministry official said that although the rescheduling was regrettable, there was no need to “overthink the postponement”, according to Yonhap news agency on Wednesday. “I think we have to look at it as a part of the process of reaching complete denuclearisation and setting up a peace regime,” Yonhap cited the unnamed official as saying. Pompeo had been due to hold talks with senior North Korean official Kim Yong Chol, which were hoped to pave the way for a second summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and make progress on denuclearisation. Trump’s Republican party lost control of the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday… Read full this story
- Pence and Pompeo to Push Erdogan for Pullback From Syria
- No fans, no media and no goals as Koreas play out World Cup qualifier in empty stadium
- Why the Jong face? Horse draws short straw as tubby North Korean leader Kim goes for a gallop
- Saudi oil attack: Where are we a week on and what happens next?
- How Japan Can Finally Say "No"
- Trump administration intensifies Syria damage-control efforts
- Republicans buckle to Trump on Syria
- Rudy, Russians and Weed: The Giuliani/Ukraine Corruption Indictments Explained via
- The Model United Nations - A Teacher's Guide
- Espionage - Dan Silva's Prince of Fire and the Patriot Act, a Review of Public Policy
Mike Pompeo abruptly cancels meeting with North Korea as negotiations stall have 312 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at November 7, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.