A selection of work and belongings of the late theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking snatched hundreds of thousands of dollars per item at a recent Christie’s auction. Among the items sold were his motorized red leather wheelchair and a copy of his doctoral thesis Properties of Expanding Universes—one of five known copies—which sold for 296,750 pounds ($387,402) and 584,750 ($763,381) respectively. The items were included in the Christie’s auction “On the Shoulders of Giants,” which ran Oct. 31 to Nov. 8 and included handwritten documents from fellow brainiacs Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and some guy named Albert Einstein. Auction items belonging to Hawking also included a copy of his book A Brief History of Time signed with his thumbprint that sold for 68,750 pounds ($89,751), his Alpha Industries bomber jacket that sold for 40,000 pounds ($52,219), and a collection of medals and awards that sold for 296,750 pounds ($387,402). In addition to Hawking’s personal documents and items, an original production script for Stephen Hawking’s final appearance on The Simpsons—in which he was portrayed as a disc jockey with gold chains and a Kangol hat—also sold 6,250 pounds ($8,157). An invitation to his famous Reception for Time Travellers snagged 11,250 pounds ($14,682)…. Read full this story
- Africans begin to take the reins of research into their own genomes
- Netflix’s ‘Bling Empire’ Is a Celebration of Culture — Clad in Couture
- The Black List 2009: Full Roster
- The Sun’s Hail Your Heroes salute is back as readers thank those who have stepped up during the Covid crisis
- Bannon's VERY rocky road to pardon: How millionaire ex-Breitbart chairman who led Trump to victory resigned as chief strategist after fall out with Javanka and was arrested on Chinese fugitive's yacht for 'robbing $1 million from Trump wall donors'
- Best games of 2017: Tacoma, Splatoon 2, Battlegrounds, and more
- Stefanik: Many journalists failed to hold Andrew Cuomo accountable
Stephen Hawking’s Wheelchair and Doctoral Thesis Sell in Multimillion Dollar Auction have 295 words, post on gizmodo.com at November 8, 2018. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.