Chinese and Russian officials have warned of a potential arms race breaking out in response to the new missile defense plan introduced by the United States. President Donald Trump introduced the 2019 Missile Defense Review on Thursday, vowing to instate a global missile shield that could “detect and destroy any missile launched against the United States anywhere, anytime.” His proposals included space-based sensors and advanced interceptors that would block against new cruise and hypersonic missile technology being developed by its top military competitors Russia and China, which have accused the U.S. of attempting to provoke further geopolitical tensions. “The American report is full of outdated ‘Cold War’ and ‘zero-sum game’ concepts. The document exaggerates the geopolitical confrontation and rivalry of powers, and speaks unreasonably of a threat from China,” a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson told Russia’s state-run Sputnik News, warning that the review could “damage regional peace and security, influence the process of international nuclear disarmament, lead to an arms race, and undermine the strategic balance and stability in the world.” “China is expressing its extreme discontent and strong objection,” the spokesperson added. Moscow voiced similar concerns toward the missile defense review. In a statement, the Russian Foreign Ministry warned… Read full this story
- Trump taunts Russia, says US military response coming in Syria
- Donald Trump Orders Missile Strikes on Syria in Response to ‘Crimes of a Monster’
- Report: Images Show Russian Ships Leaving Syrian Port After Trump Missile Warning
- On Twitter, Donald Trump Warns Russia to ‘Get Ready’ for Missile Launch into Syria
- Here’s why putting a missile defense system in space could be a bad idea
- Missile Defense: The Sequel
- Will the US Be Able to Stop Russia's New Arsenal of Missile Defense-Piercing Nukes?
- Mattis reportedly wanted Congress' support before striking Syria — but Trump had other plans
- Russia says missile defenses it's sending to Syria can stop the US — here's who would win
- Just How Dangerous Is Donald Trump?
China and Russia Warn of 'Arms Race' in Response to Donald Trump's U.S. Missile Defense Plan have 316 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 18, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.