Keith Roach To Your Health Published 4:03 PM EST Feb 13, 2019 Dear Dr. Roach: A 74-year-old woman has a total cholesterol of 123 and was told that low cholesterol like this greatly increases the risk of diabetes, stroke and cancer. It seems she has had low cholesterol for many years. What do you think is the optimum healthy level? What would you recommend to increase her total cholesterol? – R.I. Dear R.I.: When cholesterol questions come in, most people are concerned about a too-high level. Coronary artery disease remains the biggest killer in industrialized societies, and high LDL and total cholesterol are risk factors for developing the blockages in the arteries of the heart that are the hallmark of this disease. High cholesterol is not the only risk factor: People certainly can develop CAD with normal cholesterol levels, and some people with high cholesterol levels never develop that type of heart disease. However, lowering cholesterol with diet and exercise, statins and, to a lesser extent, some other drugs reduces coronary disease risk for people at above-average risk. It appears that the more the cholesterol is reduced, the greater the risk reduction. Most types of stroke have the same risk… Read full this story
- Heart health: Arjuna supplements to keep your heart healthy with Ayurveda
- Nourishing low-cholesterol breakfasts you need to try
- Cutting about 300 calories a day might benefit your heart, study finds
- Healthy Directions’ Bestselling Omega Q Plus® Formulas Shown to Have Impressive Heart Health, Energy Benefits
- Healthy Kannadiga Foods To Make Your Ugadi Special This 2016
- Three crowns reinforces commitment to mothers’ healthy hearts
- Why Snacking On Peanuts Is Healthy?
- Dogs help the people who own them maintain a healthier heart, a study finds
- How to prevent heart disease and lead a healthy life
- NJ Top Doc, Dr. Jeffrey A. Weiss Offers Medically Supervised Infusion Therapy
Doc: Finding optimum healthy level of cholesterol have 309 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at February 13, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.