NASA has landed a new robot on Mars in an attempt to study the Red Planet's deep interior. Let's take a closer look at the space agency's greatest accomplishments. What does NASA stand for? NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. The independent agency is part of the US Federal Government and is responsible for the civilian space programme. It is also responsible for aeronautics and aerospace exploration. The agency's headquarters are in Washington DC. The Space Age began in 1957 with the launch of the Soviet satellite Sputnik. NASA was established the following year by President Eisenhower and the agency succeeded the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA). Since its establishment, most US space exploration efforts have been led by NASA, including the Apollo Moon landing missions, the Skylab space station, and later the Space Shuttle. NASA also supports the International Space Station and is oversees the development of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle, the Space Launch System and Commercial Crew vehicles. The agency is also responsible for the Launch Services Program which provides oversight of launch operations and countdown management for unmanned NASA launches. NASA's main focus is a better understanding of Earth, but also extensively explores… Read full this story
- NASA, European Space Agency to collaborate on Artemis Gateway lunar outpost
- Russia May Send Space Mission to Venus
- US Developing New Nuclear Systems to Power Space Missions, New Bases, Energy Chief Says
- Covid-19 delays Indian manned space mission
- NASA to Announce 'Exciting New Discovery' About Moon Next Week
- Indian scientist to be Co-I for NASA’s PUNCH mission
- To the Moon & Back: What Does the Future Have in Store for Trump's Space Force, Artemis Programme?
- India’s human space flight mission likely to be delayed by one year
- Virgin Galactic to resume tests of its rocket-powered space plane VSS Unity as early as next WEEK after Covid-19 grounded flights - with the first paying tourists due to fly into orbit in 2021
- Nasa unveils astronauts who will walk on the MOON in 2024 – including ISS veteran with hundreds of days in space
What does NASA stand for? From space missions to planet discovery – more about the US organisation have 346 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 14, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.