Democratic presidential candidates are condemning Alabama’s approval of a ban on nearly all abortions, and warning that Republican-controlled legislatures around the country may follow suit. Legal fights are likely ahead over the Alabama measure, if it becomes law, and abortion restrictions in other conservative states. The Supreme Court, which affirmed women’s constitutional right to abortion in its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, added two conservative members under President Donald Trump. On the Alabama measure, Sen. Amy Klobuchar tweeted: “This is wrong. This is unconstitutional.” Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke said via Twitter, “We will fight these dangerous efforts with everything we’ve got in legislatures across the country.” Who’s Running for President in 2020? The race for the 2020 presidential election is underway, and the field of Democratic candidates is already packed and still growing. Those who have filed paperwork or announced presidential bids include a vice president, senators, House members and, so far, at least two mayors. As for the GOP, a single Republican has announced his bid to challenge President Donald Trump for the party nomination: former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld, who ran for vice president (and lost) in 2016 on the Libertarian party ticket. Click to learn more… Read full this story
- Georgia State now an engine of social mobility; groups challenge Iowa’s restrictive abortion law; more in U.S. news
- Here's Every 2020 Democratic Presidential Candidate's Plan to End Gun Violence
- 4-Year-Old Bama Fan Slams Alabama Football Haters
- Missouri lawmakers ban abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy as Mike Pence PRAISES Alabama's near-total ban for 'embracing life' and accuses Democrat-led states of backing 'extreme' laws
- Pollak: Real Purpose of Impeachment Is to Make Up for Weak Democratic Field
- Hawkins: Female College Athletes Pressured into Having Abortions to Stay at Peak Condition
- US election 2020: Which Democratic candidate will take on Trump?
- Doctors Rip Claim Abortions Needed for ‘Mental Health’
- Which Democratic Candidate Will Drop Out of the Presidential Race Next?
- Jerry Reinsdorf's 'mellowing' helped bring 2020 NBA All-Star Game to Chicago
2020 Democrats Slam Alabama Abortion Law have 340 words, post on www.nbcmiami.com at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.