Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no vice? Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images Nancy Pelosi says that the United States is in a “constitutional crisis,” that White House officials have “decided that they are not going to honor their oath of office,” and that Donald Trump is an aspiring autocrat who might well refuse to relinquish the presidency even if he loses next year’s election. Which is why, in the speaker’s view, Democrats must avoid checking the president’s power too aggressively. Joe Biden says that Donald Trump represents an unprecedented threat to our republic’s bedrock values — and that, if Trump wins a second term, congressional Republicans will allow their standard-bearer to “forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation,” not least by destroying “our very democracy.” Which is why, in the 2020 frontrunner’s opinion, Democrats must neither give up on bipartisanship, nor forfeit their faith in the fundamental decency of congressional Republicans. Pelosi and Biden’s positions are a bit less absurd than they sound. But they also could not be more antithetical to the consensus view among liberal intellectuals, blue-state back-benchers, and progressive 2020 candidates — which holds that solving our democracy’s present crisis requires waging total war… Read full this story
- Voters fatigued over Democrats' Trump impeachment
- Fake video of Trump shooting media and critics played at his resort: New York Times
- New York Times: Fake video of Trump shooting media and critics played at his resort
- NYT: Fake video of Trump shooting media and critics played at his resort
- Andrew McCarthy: Bad impeachment news for Trump – GOP senators enraged by Turkey’s invasion of Syria
- Turkish lira slides, but doubt lingers over Trump sanction threats
- 'Trump's threats don't comply with state seriousness'
- UPDATE 1-Turkish lira slips but traders doubt Trump's sanctions threat
- Fact check: Trump made 87 false claims last week
- Impeachment crisis shines a spotlight on Trump’s erratic state of mind
Democrats: Trump’s GOP Is a Threat to Democracy — So We Better Play Nice have 324 words, post on nymag.com at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.