May 21, 2019, 9:19am ETby Drew JohnsonThe partnership will begin with a two-week trial.The United States Postal Service is set to begin on Tuesday a two-week trial with autonomous truck maker TuSimple to explorer the benefits of driverless hub-to-hub mail delivery.Over the course of that two-week trial period, three self-driving trucks provided by TuSimple will complete five round trips between USPS distribution hubs located in Dallas and Phoenix. Each truck will be staffed with a two-person crew, but the semis will drive themselves for the entire 22 hours it takes to complete the 1,065 mile journey.Long-haul highway routes are the logical starting point for autonomous big rigs since they are typically less complicated, traffic-wise, than intercity lanes. Moreover, the route between Dallas and Phoenix provides the benefit of being mostly along I-10 and through states with good weather. “This is our first real run that kind of stretches our legs,” Robert Brown, director of public affairs at TuSimple, told Automotive News. “It’s a sweet spot for autonomy.”The USPS hasn’t committed to using autonomous semis on a full-time basis, but the technology could prove to be a time — and money saver — for the delivery service.”For the Postal Service, automation… Read full this story
- Save The USPS By Buying Its Cool Post Office Vehicle Models
- Daimler teams up with Volvo Trucks in fuel cell venture
- DMV, CHP to inspect Uber’s self-driving-truck garage
- CEAT Announces Sanitation Drive For Trucks Delivering Goods In Mumbai
- Coronavirus Lockdown: Stranded Truck Drivers To Receive Food At 1,700 Highway Fuel Stations
- Explore the deep blue sea with these awesome underwater drones
- A married mother, a dad-of-three and a rookie officer: The faces and stories behind hero cops killed in truck smash - as Porsche driver Richard Pusey turns himself in after 'posting pictures of wreckage and fleeing the scene'
- Todd Robinson responds to death of partner Glen Humphris in crash on Melbourne's Eastern Freeway
- Daimler partners with Volvo for $1.3 billion Hydrogen fuel-cell JV
- ‘This Was An Act Of Terror’: 8 Dead, More Than A Dozen Injured When Truck Strikes Pedestrians In Lower Manhattan
USPS partners with TuSimple to explore autonomous trucking have 351 words, post on leftlanenews.com at May 21, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.