The world’s largest medicinal cannabis company has urged the government to allow GPs to prescribe the drug, calling on the UK to be a “leader not a laggard” in one of the world’s fastest growing major industries. Cam Battley, chief corporate officer of Canada-based Aurora Cannabis, said the UK was failing patients who might benefit from medicinal cannabis, as well as forfeiting economic gain, due to the restrictions of the existing regulatory regime. Sajid Javid, the home secretary, authorised the use of medicinal products derived from cannabis last year following a long-running campaign fronted by the parents of children suffering severe epilepsy, who reported that cannabis oil helped with their condition. But it can only be prescribed by specialist physicians and cannot be imported until a prescription has been issued. These rules, coupled with division among doctors about how effective it is, means fewer than 100 patients are thought to have been prescribed it. “What was the point of creating a medical cannabis system if patients can’t access it?” Battley said, speaking at the annual Cannabis Europa conference in London, attended by leading firms in the nascent but already multibillion dollar industry. “It’s time for the UK to take this… Read full this story
- UK, EU, And US Authorities To Investigate Facebook Over Cambridge Analytica 'Leak' (Updated)
- UK Pharmacy to Sell Pill with Ingestible Microchip
- Drug Industry Presses FDA to Allow More Online Ads
- UK calls on social media firms to protect children
- Surgeon general urges Americans to carry opioid overdose antidote
- Redmond woman charged with murder in wife's strangulation death
- Gina Miller: Who is campaigner behind Brexit court cases?
- My Son Pioneered an Epilepsy Drug Derived From Marijuana. An FDA Panel Just Approved It
- Unhooking Medicine
- Autopsy: Slain Redmond woman died by strangulation
Medical cannabis firms press UK to loosen prescription rules have 290 words, post on www.theguardian.com at June 24, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.