Semi-official BMW tuner Alpina has given the world some fantastically tweaked cars over the years, the latest of which is the 600-horsepower B7 based on the 7-Series.
As you may have noticed, Alpina tends to step where BMW’s own tuner, the M division, doesn’t dare tread, and it looks like the next offering will be based on the X7.
Our latest spy shots show a prototype for an Alpina X7 being tested hard at the Nürburgring. Signature Alpina cues include the horizontal slats of the lower front fascia, plus the multi-spoke wheels.
Alpina’s X7 will likely be badged an XB7 if it’s powered by a gasoline engine, though if there’s a diesel under the hood then you can expect the name to be XD7. Given the importance of the United States and China to Alpina, it’s more than likely we’re looking at a gas-powered model.
2019 BMW Alpina XD4
The B7 super sedan packs a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 conservatively rated at 600 horsepower and 590 pound-feet of torque. It also features a sport exhaust, a reworked 8-speed automatic transmission, and track-tuned suspension. All of these features installed in the X7 would make for an impressive SUV, and don’t forget Alpina offers tuned versions of the X3 and X4 overseas, so the company has some experience working on high-riding vehicles.
Right now the hottest X7 is the BMW X7 M50i. The M Performance model is powered by a 4.4-liter twin-turbocharged V-8 rated at 523 hp and 553 lb-ft. It needs just 4.5 seconds to hit 60 mph, so imagine what a 600-hp X7 will do.
We currently expect the XB7 to debut late this year ahead of a market launch in early 2020. Pricing will likely match or exceed the $142,695 you need to pay for the B7.
- The legendary Toyota Supra sports car has returned to America after a 20-year absence to take on Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes
- BMW profits dip on investments in electric cars
- Here's How The 2020 Land Rover Defender Compares To The Concept Everybody Hated
- The 2020 Porsche Cayenne Coupe Doubles Down on Absurdity but It’s Fun and Fast
- BMW unveils electric Mini as it charges into new era
- 2018 BMW 3-Series still has it
- DHL bags contact extension with BMW Group
- Getting an upgrade? Speculation mounts Channel Seven's Big Brother reboot could be shot on an ISLAND
- DealBook Briefing: Goldman Says Trump Could Squeak a Win in 2020
- Justin Thomas holds on to win BMW Championship