Acura will be bringing a new concept car to Monterey, Calif., in mid-August and it heralds the return of the brand’s Type S performance line. Acura teased the Type S concept in both a detailed shot featuring a taillight and dual exhaust tips, and a video showing a silhouette of what looks like a liftback sedan — think Kia Stinger, or Audi A5 Sportback or A7.
Acura says the concept “sets the design direction for the return of Type S performance variants to the Acura lineup in the years ahead.” For those who don’t remember the halcyon days of the 2000s, there were Type S variants of the 3.2 CL coupe, TL and 3.2 TL sedan, and RSX coupe.
Acura, being the luxury arm of Honda and thus one better, will use Type S for performance vehicles — Type S, of course, one better than Type R (S > R), Honda’s performance designation. Hopefully, future Type S models get similar performance enhancements as their predecessors — things like more powerful engines and brakes, and more aggressive suspension tuning to go along with their higher-performance looks. It will be interesting to see which Acura models get a Type S variant. Will the MDX and RDX get one along with the cars? What about the NSX, a performance car bought by fewer than 200 people in 2018?
More From Cars.com:
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
- Why Performance Lowering Springs Give Your Honda Or Acura Type-R Ability
- Popular Types of Magic Tricks
- Is 'rolling return' the best way to measure performance of mutual funds?
- Premium Performing Arts Schools of the World
- Graphene Wrap Coatings For Athletic Shoes to Improve Performance and Reduce Weight
- Magic Tricks - Everybody's Favorites Types
- Trick My Truck - Toyota Tundra Performance Add-Ons For Increased Gas Mileage and Horsepower
- Types of Ballroom Dancing - Choosing What to Learn
- Front Foot, Back Foot - Bringing More Energy to Your Performing
- The Acura Advanced Sedan - A New Concept of Unique Design