Another legendary badge is set to return—this time it’s the Type S moniker used by Acura on some of its most well-known models from the past. Set to debut this month during Monterey Car Week, the Acura Type S Concept could be a thinly disguised preview of the redesigned TLX. A recent leak showed off what appears to be images of the next TLX and MDX within the RDX’s multimedia system.
“Building on the return of NSX, our renewed commitment to Acura Motorsports, the introduction of the third-generation RDX, and new Acura design direction, the Type S Concept represents another significant step in creating a new era for the Acura brand,” said Jon Ikeda, Acura vice president and brand officer, in a release.
The last time we saw the Type S badge on an Acura vehicle was on the third-generation TL, which featured a 286-hp 3.5-liter V-6 in Type S trim. It even boasted a six-speed manual transmission, Brembo brakes, and a limited-slip differential to bolster its sporting credentials. That Type S was only offered for the 2007 and 2008 model years, but throughout the early 2000s, the CL, TL, and RSX all had performance-oriented Type S variants catered to enthusiasts.
Acura released a single teaser shot that clearly shows two exhaust tips on one side, hinting at the return of the quad-outlet setup to Acura. Slim taillights highlight some design cues taken from the Precision Concept first shown at the 2016 Detroit auto show. A 10-second video accompanying the photo shows a sedan with a sweeping greenhouse. The front end appears to sport a different iteration of the Acura corporate fascia, featuring slim headlights integrated with the diamond-shaped grille.
Expect to learn more about the Acura Type S Concept when it finally greets the public at The Quail, a Motorsports Gathering on August 16, followed by the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Concept Lawn on August 18. We expect the brand to continue moving toward the sporty end of the spectrum, a trend that began with the third-generation Acura RDX last year. In addition to the TLX, the next-generation MDX could also receive the Type S treatment, marking the first time an Acura SUV has worn the performance badge.
- The Two Fundamental Concepts that Greatly Simplify NDB Approaches
- Altea holiday accommodation has many beaches to choose from for your break
- Byrdhouse Bali Beach Club
- Seas the day! Joel Edgerton hits Sydney's Bondi Beach for a swim ahead of the Australian premiere of his latest movie The King
- The Crown season three: Netflix unveil new poster ahead of the show's hotly-anticipated return featuring a regal Olivia Colman, Tobias Menzies, and Josh O'Connor
- Residents blast 'horrifying' Network Rail plans to move a storm-damaged coastal rail line onto a beauty spot beach
- 'We will not be going ahead at all'
- Dog beach ban survey receives over 6,000 responses
- How to select a best beach resort
- Barcaldine beach clean picks up tonnes of waste