Here’s a pretty interesting question for petrolheads: would you buy a first-gen naturally-aspirated R8 4.2 FSI instead of an all-new 2019 TTS Coupe?
According to Carwow, the two Audis cost about the same despite differences in segment, model year, powertrains and power output. They’re quite evenly matched on paper too, as far as acceleration off the line is concerned. But what happens when they actually race each other in the real world?
Well, something very interesting actually. We’re not going to tell you who won, because multiple tests were carried out (standing start, rolling start and a brake test), so we won’t spoil the outcome.
Also Watch: Audi TTS vs. BMW M240i vs. Porsche 718 Cayman
The 2019 TTS Coupe is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder producing 306 PS (302 HP) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque. With the aid of a 7-speed dual-clutch ‘box and all-wheel drive, it can accelerate to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.5 seconds, before maxing out at an electronically limited 250 km/h (155 mph).
Meanwhile, the first-gen R8 uses a 4.2-liter naturally aspirated V8 that sends 420 PS (414 HP) and 430 Nm (317 lb-ft) of torque to all four wheels. It too can hit 100 km/h (62 mph) in roughly 4.5 seconds (4.6 seconds to be precise) before maxing out at 301 km/h (187 mph). It’s worth mentioning that this particular R8 had a six-speed manual gearbox, instead of Audi‘s old R tronic semi-auto.
Is this a fair face-off or an apples to oranges comparison? Well, running costs notwithstanding, it definitely makes for a very interesting match-up, doesn’t it?
- 2019 Audi RS 5 Sportback first drive review
- 2019 Audi A1 Sportback Is A Handsome Half Pint With Up To 200 HP
- 2019 Audi A1 Looks All Grown Up In Paris
- 2019 Audi Q3 Brings A Splash Of Color To Paris Motor Show
- Most Expensive 2019 Audi Q3 Costs $46,740
- ET Awards 2019: Time to take some decisive steps, say industry captains
- Budget 2019-20 first take: The road to rural prosperity
- Family matters: Bhavin Turakhia credits his father, humble beginnings for success
- Ballon d’Or 2019: Lionel Messi takes home historic sixth award
- Who is Zoe Ball? Love life and family of the Strictly: It Takes Two presenter revealed