Chicago and St. Louis are rival cities with sports teams that don’t like each other. The Fire are eager to join the fray, and president and general manager Nelson Rodriguez already is playfully throwing jabs at the unnamed team down Interstate 55. “At the end of the day, Chicago has 27 major sports championships,” Rodriguez told the Sun-Times. “St. Louis has only , and who wouldn’t want a younger brother like that?” On Aug. 20, MLS awarded an expansion team to St. Louis that is expected to begin play in 2022. Nationally, observers were hoping St. Louis would be rewarded with a team to carry on the city’s rich soccer tradition. In Chicago, the addition means a new geographical foe for the Fire, whose main rival is the Columbus Crew. In the past, playoff matchups with the New England Revolution generated a rivalry, but the teams haven’t met in the postseason since 2009. Rodriguez said the I-55 corridor will be “fantastic” for traveling supporters from both sides, whom he expects to venture in big numbers. And, of course, the rivalry will fit in with Cubs-Cardinals and Blackhawks-Blues. “When you have a team that is in a historical rival city across… Read full this story
- He Helped St. Louis Land the Rams. He Squeezed the N.F.L. When They Left.
- USDA Awards University Of Missouri-St. Louis-Led Team Of Researchers $633,000 Grant To Study Pollination In Urban Orchards
- Amazon workers trapped after warehouse roof collapse near St. Louis
- 15 Entrepreneurs Present Startups During University Of Missouri-St. Louis Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Accelerator Pitch Day
- The Nature Conservancy : Treesilience Launches In St. Louis
- Tyler Carpenter lands Truck ride with Gateway Dirt win - NBC Sports
- NHL Team Values 2021: New York Rangers Become Hockey’s First $2 Billion Team
- Pat Leonard: DeVonta Smith is a reminder Eagles’ recent dominance of Giants rivalry starts off the field
- Super League team-by-team preview, predictions and players to watch ahead of big kick-off
- New Light on Lincoln's Boyhood
Gateway to a rivalry? Fire already eager for new St. Louis team have 319 words, post on chicago.suntimes.com at August 31, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.