The hot hatch market is hotly contested these days but BMW is not playing in the Mercedes-AMG A45 “hyper hatch” category at the moment.
Is that about to change though as Automobile Mag is reporting that the Bavarian manufacturer is working on a high-powered version of the 1 Series hatchback with a hybrid powertrain delivering as much as 400 hp/300 kW.
Tipped for 2020 and dubbed the M140e, the 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder found in the M135i xDrive will be assisted by an 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor, a 35-kWh battery, and a water-injection system.
With 400 hp, the M140e would run in good company, with the likes of the Audi RS3, the new Mercedes-AMG A45 S, and the next-generation Volkswagen Golf R, which is expected to far eclipse the outgoing model’s 296 hp output.
- BMW 5-Series 2017 Release Date & Latest Update: Seventh Generation Executive Saloon Is Luxurious & Sporty; Specs & Price Details Revealed
- Dyson to build electric cars in Singapore – with 2021 launch planned
- Dyson patents reveal plans for electric car with off-road potential
- Edgar Wright talks Hot Fuzz with Total Film
- Klei quietly began the open beta for Hot Lava during E3
- Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs for PS4 Gets Info on Original Waifu Machi and New Screenshots
- Joe Biden Was Still on His Hyde Amendment Backtracking Tour at the Planned Parenthood 'We Decide' Forum
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 Preview
- Second Look: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 update